International Student Admissions

Who is considered an international student? Any student who is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States is classified as an international student. International students are nonimmigrants to the United States and will be applying for a temporary U.S. visa. The available student visa is the F-1. Students enrolled in other universities on an F-1 visa who wish to transfer to Regent University also fall into this category.

You are also considered international even if you plan on studying strictly online from your home country. However, since you will not be entering the United States, an F-1 visa or evidence of financial resources is not required. International students studying online will still be required to provide transcript evaluations and TOEFL test scores, if applicable.

Regent University, Virginia Beach, assists with the international students admission process.

Regent Overview

Students from many different countries are drawn to Regent’s mission of Christian Leadership to Change the World. While our main campus is located in the United States, Regent is engaged in international activities including academic conferences, training programs and consulting. We offer world-wide access to our degree programs through innovative, Internet-based programs. Under Federal Law, Regent is authorized to enroll nonimmigrant students.

We believe you will find that the biblical principles integrated within each of our academic programs will empower you for more effective leadership and the possibility of changing your world. As you consider Regent for your undergraduate, master’s or doctoral degree, use the information below to learn more about the specific admission requirements for applying to study at Regent University as an international student.

Steps to Attending Regent:

Select your Academic Program

Regent houses nine different schools. Determine which degree program you are interested in and review the details of that degree AND the admission requirements of that school.

Review the INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Admission Requirements

As an international student, you must meet two (2) different sets of admission requirements:

  1. The admission requirements of your school
  2. Additional admission requirements included in the International Student web site

Learn more about Student Housing

If you will attend classes in the United States, Regent University offers student housing that is located very near the university campus.

If you have any additional questions that are not answered on this web site, please contact International Admissions at for a prompt response. We look forward to serving you!

NOTES: F-1 student visa holders should not book their flights to the U.S. until they have received their student visa and have confirmed the dates of the SEVIS/International Student Orientation program for the semester they were admitted to Regent.

Transfer students who are admitted to Regent for a summer term are required to be enrolled full-time in that first summer term. These students must attend the mandatory SEVIS/International Student Orientation in the fall and should plan accordingly.

Regent University is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.

International Admissions Checklist

Click sections below to learn more.

Apply Today

Regent University uses an application process that allows you to complete most of your application online. Because you will establish a login and password as you begin the online application process, you will be able to complete the application at your own pace which means you may logout and return at a later time to complete your documents.

When you are ready to begin your own application, you may select the Online Application link to set up your online application.

Apply Online »

All degree and non-degree seeking applications to Regent University require a nonrefundable application fee. All degree-seeking applications to Regent University require a $50 application fee. For non-degree and certificate programs, please refer to the admission requirements for the school in which you are interested to learn more about the application fee requirement.

Pay the $50 nonrefundable application fee by check or money order mailed to:

Regent University
Enrollment Support Services
1000 Regent University Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23464

Credentials and Test Scores

A necessary part of the application process includes submitting transcripts from educational institutions attended. Please note the requirements for the various levels of application below.

  • Undergraduate applicants to the College of Arts & Sciences: Official transcripts from all institutions attended (high school and college) are required.
  • Graduate applicants to Master’s degree programs of study: An official transcript indicating successful completion of a bachelor’s degree program is required.
  • Graduate applicants to Specialist and Doctoral degree programs of study: Official transcripts indicating successful completion of both a bachelor’s and master’s degree program are required.

Regent University’s accrediting agency (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) requires official transcripts, which is defined as being received by Regent University in a sealed envelope from the previous educational institution or evaluation agency.

All transcripts that are not from an American institution must be evaluated. A course-by-course evaluation is required and the transcript must be converted to the American Grade Point Average system. Transcripts in a language other than English must also include an official English translation. Information regarding accepted evaluation agencies can be found below to assist you. Please note Regent is only requiring the evaluation for international transcripts. There is no need to send a copy of your official international transcript to Regent. The translation and evaluation fees must be paid directly to the agency performing the service.

Regent only accepts degrees from universities and colleges that are considered to have regional accreditation. The evaluation agency will determine this information when they conduct the transcript evaluation. If the school you attended is considered “non-accredited,” Regent will not be able to accept credit from the school. Accreditation is intended to assure constituents and the public of the quality and integrity of higher education institutions and programs, and to help those institutions and programs improve. These outcomes are achieved through rigorous internal and external review processes during which the institution is evaluated against a common set of standards. Regional accrediting bodies conduct comprehensive reviews of institutions of higher education and operate primarily in a specific geographical area. The accreditation granted encompasses the entire institution including reported branch campuses, other instructional sites, and distance learning modalities. Regional accrediting bodies typically accredit a wide range of institutions offering associate, baccalaureate, master’s and/or doctoral degrees which include many of America’s most prestigious institutions. (Information obtain from CHEA

A helpful resource to determine if your school has accreditation is to use a service provided by World Education Services called International Degree Preview. It is for your information only and will provide an instant U.S. equivalency for the schools you have attended. This will help you determine if you have the required credentials for study at Regent University. The initial fee for the International Degree Preview is $30 and allows you to enter up to two (2) degrees. You can enter three additional degrees for a fee of $10 per degree. If you order an official WES evaluation via their U.S. ONLINE APPLICATION within seven (7) days, you will receive a credit which will reduce the evaluation fee by $20. The service is limited to post-secondary degrees and recognized degree-granting institutions.

Regent University requires all transcripts from institutions outside of the United States receive a course-by-course or detailed evaluation from professional evaluation agencies either accredited through or who are members of NACES, AACRAO, or NAFSA. All other course-by-course or document level, detailed evaluations will be reviewed on an individual basis. Additional information regarding acceptable transcript evaluation agencies may be found by visiting NACES, AACRAO, or NAFSA.

If your coursework is displayed in a language other than English, please work with your chosen evaluation agency to request that your evaluation be translated into English before sending it to Regent University.

All students enrolled in Regent University are required to be proficient in the English language. For international students in which English is not the primary language of their country, either the TOEFL®, PTE Academic® or the IELTS® exam must be taken to demonstrate one’s effectiveness with the English language. These tests may be waived, as listed below the table.

Individuals that will need to take the TOEFL exam should consult the TOEFL® website to learn more about locations, times and costs associated with the exam.**


Minimum TOEFL® requirement
Computer 233*
Internet 90 for all programs except JD & LL.M.
100 for JD & LL.M.
Paper 577*
Regent’s institutions code: 5135


Information about PTE Academic® can be found here as well as consulting their website.


Minimum PTE Academic® requirement
Internet 61*


Information about the IELTS® can be found at their website.


Minimum IELTS® requirement
Internet 7


*Students interested in the School of Law will have a higher test score requirement.

**English Language Proficiency test scores are valid for two years after the test date. Please see the website for the test you plan to take for information regarding any limits to how often you may take the exam.


The tests can be waived in the following circumstances:

  • Non-native speakers who hold degrees or diplomas from postsecondary institutions in English-speaking countries (e.g., the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand);
  • Non-native speakers who have successfully completed at least a two-year postsecondary course of study in which English was the language of instruction;
  • Transfer students from institutions in the United States or Canada whose postsecondary academic course work was favorably evaluated in relation to its demands and duration;
  • Non-native speakers who have taken the TOEFL® or PTE Academic® test within the past two years and whose scores met Regent standards

Depending on the program that you are applying for, Regent requires official test scores. These consist of the GRE, GMAT or MAT test scores for Doctoral or Masters level programs to the ACTor SAT test scores for Undergraduate programs. Please consult with your admissions counselor to determine which test scores you will need to submit.

F-1 Student Requirements (If you are studying on campus)

As an addendum to the Regent University admission application is the Supplementary International ApplicationPDF. Please wait to submit this form until six months prior to the start date of your program to ensure the most up to date information.

The following chart outlines the deadlines for application, admission and I-20 Issuance.

To receive an I-20 issued by Regent University, you must:

  • Submit all required admission materials by the established deadline. This includes the Application, the Application Fee, the Supplemental Application, Official Transcripts, and evidence of housing and transportation (if living off campus).
  • Be accepted by your school of interest by the established deadline.
  • Meet the I-20 issuance requirements by submitting the following items by the established deadlines: Enrollment Deposit, Financial Certification Form, and copies of all required Immigration Documents (The passport copy is required for all applicants.  In addition to the passport copy, the following items are required for applicants who are applying from within the United States:  a copy of the original and latest visa, a copy of the I-94 arrival/departure record, and a copy of any other supporting immigration documents, such as any   I-797 change of status approval notices, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), etc.).


An I-20 cannot be issued after the dates listed below so international applicants applying to attend school at Regent University should begin the admission process nine to twelve (9-12) months in advance of their intended enrollment date in order to insure you will meet the established deadlines. Please read the sections below for more details about these important requirements and deadlines.

International student applicants should allow at least four to six (4-6) weeks for an admission decision to be made once the applicant has submitted all required documents to the appropriate offices and has followed all processes and procedures required for an admission decision.

Important Information: Do not make your visa appointment until you have your I-20. You will not be able to obtain a visa without your I-20. We cannot expedite or “rush” an I-20 to you if you have scheduled a visa appointment without an I-20.

If it is more than 120 days (four months) before your Program Start Date, do not request an I-20. International Admissions only issues I-20s within 120 days of your Program Start Date.


International Application,
Decision, & I-20 Issuance Deadlines
Enrollment Term International Application Deadlines

(Date by which the applicant must submit his/her application and all required Admissions documents)

I-20 Issuance Deadlines

(Date by which all applicants must submit all documents required for the I-20)

Fall Semester
Overseas/Initial Attendance Students May 15 June 15
Immigration Transfer Students/ Regent COL (F-1 students who are transferring from another U.S. institution or students who are changing their degree levels at Regent.) May 15

*current I-20 must be valid

July 15
Spring Semester
Overseas/Initial Attendance Students August 1 October 15
Immigration Transfer Students/ Regent COL (F-1 students who are transferring from another U.S. institution or students who are changing their degree levels at Regent.) September 1

*current I-20 must be valid

December 1

For questions about this chart or international admissions, please email us at
Click here for pdf version of this chart.

International students must supply a copy of their current, valid passport with an expiration date of at least six months beyond the end date of their program.

If you are applying to Regent from within the United States, a copy of the following items are required:  A copy of the original visa you first used to enter the United States, a copy of your current or most recent visa, a copy of your I-94 arrival/departure record, and a copy of any other supporting immigration documents, such as any I-797 change of status approval notices, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), etc.). We need all copies of these forms.

It is important for international applicants to understand the great financial responsibility of attending a university in the U.S.

The potential of financial aid awards and/or on-campus employment opportunities through Regent University to international students cannot be guaranteed and should therefore not be expected. An interested international applicant should seek out all possible means of funding for educational expenses. Please visit Central Financial Aid’s website for information about scholarships available for international students.

If applying for a Student (F) visa or if you hold this visa already, you are required to certify that you will have the sum for all expenses during your first year at Regent University. The supporting documents that are required for the Financial Certification Form must be translated in English. If you plan to bring your spouse and/or children, a proportionately larger amount of money must be certified. The first year expenses include tuition, living expenses, and other estimated expenses to be incurred for books, incidentals, etc. Finances are not required to be considered for acceptance into the school but must be proven before the I-20 can be issued.

Important note regarding scholarships: If you will be receiving a tuition scholarship, you still must complete the Financial Certification Form showing finances for student fees and living estimates. Please attach the award letter on Regent Letterhead showing the amount of the scholarship in percentage or USD. Contact your admissions counselor to receive this letter after you have been notified of an award.

Please click here to access the Financial Estimates and Financial Certification Form.

If you are currently attending a school in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, please have your current institutions’ Designated School Official fill out the Transfer Eligibility Form and mail it to Regent University at the address provided on the transfer form. The form will be provided to you, upon acceptance, by Regent University’s Designated School Official. Before acceptance, please attach copies of your immigration documents and any for your dependents:

  • All I-20 forms forms ever received
  • Copy of current or most recent U.S. Visa history pages
  • I-94 Arrival Departure Record, printed from
  • Employment Authorization Document (if applicable)

Enrolling / Residency Requirements

Once academically accepted, an Enrollment Deposit is due for all international students enrolling in classes, which will be applied toward tuition for the first semester of study. Please contact your enrollment counselor for more information pertaining to your specific deposit requirement. When the deposit is received and all financial documentation is verified, you will be considered admitted to the University. Regent University will then issue the SEVIS I-20.

Use the links below to make your Enrollment Deposit:

*This change in the Enrollment Deposit is effective for the Fall 2013 academic term forward.*

Some online master’s and doctoral degree programs offer the option of attending an on-campus residency as part of the program.  If your program of study includes the option of on-campus residency, please review the following information.

First-Time Residency Participants:

Non-immigrant students participating in on-campus residencies for online degree programs are responsible for ensuring they have proper immigration status for their studies at Regent.  An I-20 is required for residency students to apply for an F-1 student visa and to obtain the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry.  Not all of Regent’s on-campus residencies will qualify for I-20 issuance by the University for the on-campus portions of certain online degrees.  Please contact your program advisor for further guidance on whether or not your program qualifies for I-20 issuance.  If you are a non-immigrant student with a B-1/B-2 visitor immigration status, you will not be permitted to enroll in on-campus degree programs, or participate in on-campus residency related workshops, classes, and/or activities that lead toward the attainment of a degree. Please submit all required documents five (5) months prior to your Residency start date. The required documentation includes a copy of your passport, the Supplementary International Application PDFand Financial Certification form. Documents may be submitted to

Returning Residency Students:

If you are required to return to campus for a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance, then you must submit the required documentation to Enrollment Support Services at least four (4) months in advance of your next residency start date. The required documentation includes the Residency Student Request for a New I-20 and the Financial Certification Form. Documents may be submitted to

All Residency Students:

You will not be permitted to enroll in on-campus degree programs, or participate in on-campus residency related workshops, classes, and/or activities that lead toward the attainment of a degree if you are a non-immigrant student with a B-1/B-2 visitor, or visa waiver, immigration status.  You must obtain F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry for participation in your on-campus residency.  In order to receive the I-20, which is required to obtain the F-1 visa and the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry, all required documents must be submitted five (5) months prior to your Residency start date. Documents may be submitted to

If you are a non-immigrant student who is in a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance, and you have submitted all required international documentation but not received your I-20 at least three (3) months in advance of your residency start-date, then please contact your admissions counselor by calling 1.800.846.4198, or via email at

Regent University is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students. Prior to enrollment at the University, non-immigrants who have been admitted to Regent must provide evidence that they are lawfully in the country and that they are in a status that allows for enrollment.

All new international students must complete orientation unless otherwise stated by your program (e.g.,. JD Law, doctoral programs). Students studying online will see an online orientation in their “My Courses” section of Blackboard. Students studying on campus and entering in the fall or spring semesters will receive information about a mandatory orientation prior to the start of the semester. International Student Orientation assists new international students with their transition to Regent and life in the United States. All new and transfer F‐1 international students are required to attend or participate in their designated orientation. Prior to the orientation, new international students will receive a pre-arrival packet and a welcome packet to review prior to arriving on campus.

Estimated Costs

The following estimated costs are to assist nonimmigrant international students in budgeting finances for their duration of studies at Regent University and for the university’s preparation of the I-20, which will be used for the F-1 visa application. These estimates are for one year only. It is the student’s responsibility to provide sufficient funds for each year of study, without relying on employment.

The estimates are based on the minimum credit requirement for each academic program. Regent University reserves the right to change tuition or other costs at any time. All costs are estimates only, and actual costs and expenses may vary considerably.

Financial Estimates

Please click on the appropriate link for the graduate, undergraduate and residency estimates. These estimates include the costs for tuition & course fees, student fees, and living expenses.

College of Arts & Sciences

School of Business and Leadership
School of Communication & the Arts
School of Divinity
Robertson School of Government
School of Law
School of Psychology and Counseling

Detailed Living Expenses

Please click on the appropriate link below for the detailed living estimates for 9 and 12 months. If summer enrollment is required for your academic program you must use the 12-month living estimates.

9-Month Living Estimates
12-Month Living Estimates

Financial Certification Form & Deadlines

Please complete and sign the required Financial Certification Form below, which is required by Regent University and demonstrates your ability to support yourself with adequate financial coverage for a successful stay in the United States. IMPORTANT NOTE: The Financial Certification Form must be submitted along with your school specific enrollment deposit (please contact enrollment advisor for more information) by the I-20 Issuance Deadline, which can be found here.

Financial Certification Form

I-20 Shipping Information

Newly admitted on-campus students, and students attending on-campus residency programs who are non-U.S. citizens and who are outside the United States need an I-20 document to apply for a non-immigrant F-1 student visa. The following mailing options are available for receiving your I-20/ documents.

  • Send it by express mail at your own expenseYou may use the eShipGlobal service to have your document(s) mailed to you through FedEx or DHL. To do so, visit the Regent-specific student registration page of (do not visit FedEx or DHL directly). To set up an account, you will need to create a username and password. To request shipment, you will need your mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, and credit card information. If you have questions about how to use this service, review the Help section of the eShipGlobal website or e-mail Once you have requested the shipment, send an email to to notify our office that you have requested an eShipGlobal shipment.
  • Personally pick it from the International Student Admissions office: You must set up an appointment by sending an email to Also, please bring a proof of identification.
  • Authorize a friend to pick up the document(s) on your behalf: To do so, send an e-mail to both your friend and to from your Regent University e-mail account to grant them permission to pick up your document(s) and to set up an appointment. Your friend should bring a printout of the email and a photo identification in order to pick up the document(s).

Student Information

The academic year generally includes a fall and spring semester although some academic programs require summer enrollment as well.

Fall semester begins near the middle of August and ends near the middle of December, followed by a two- to three-week winter break.

Spring semester usually starts in the second week of January and ends in early May.

Summer sessions are offered from the middle of May to the middle of August. You may take summer courses even if it is not required for your program, however please note that new students may not begin during the Summer Semester as you must begin your studies at Regent during the Fall or Spring semesters in order to participate in our International Student Orientation.

Full‐Time Enrollment Requirement

Immigration regulations require international students in F‐1 immigration status to enroll in classes on a full‐time basis every fall and spring semester (minimum of 12 credit hours for undergraduate students, 10 credit hours for JD law students, 9 credit hours for graduate students, and 6 credit hours for doctoral students). Students in academic programs that require summer enrollment are also required by immigration regulations to be enrolled full‐time during the summer term.

Online Academic Credit Restriction

Students in the F‐1 immigration status cannot count more than one online/distance education class or three online/distance education credits per semester toward the full‐time status requirement, when enrolled for the minimum number of credits. For immigration purposes online/distance education is that which does not require a student’s physical attendance for course completion. Students must check with each academic department/school for individual credit requirements and with the Academic Advising Office before enrolling in multiple online courses.

Your academic advisor will assist you with class registration each semester to assure that the proper number of on-campus credits are assigned and that you are on track for degree completion.

All Regent University full-time on-campus F-1 international students are required to have continuous 12-month health insurance coverage, both while pursuing their degree program and during periods of approved post-completion OPT. International students enrolled in online programs that only require short-term on-campus residencies are exempt from this policy.

Your health insurance coverage must provide the following:

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per injury or accident.
  • Repatriation of remains benefits of at least $7,500.
  • Expenses associated with medical evacuation of the international student to his or her home country for at least $10,000.
  • The deductible may not exceed $500 per accident or injury.

Group Plan with ISO

Regent University has partnered with ISO Insurance to offer a group health insurance plan to our students.  All enrolled students on an F-1 visa are required to participate in this group plan. The Regent University Health Care Plan with ISO can be located via this link. This page will provide the appropriate group plan brochure, group rates, coverage dates and other contact information for the ISO insurance company. Contact information for ISO Customer Care is 800.244.1180 or

Once you enroll with ISO for coverage, our Office of International Admissions & Advising will be able to verify your coverage with ISO directly. Therefore it is not required for you to submit proof of coverage paperwork during your enrollment with ISO.

Regent University Health Center

Additionally, Regent University offers minor healthcare services and care on-campus through the Health Center.  A Nurse practitioner is available on a part time basis to all on-campus students and can provide a higher level of care than a nurse and has the authority to write prescriptions, if needed.  On-campus students pay a $45 Health Center fee every semester (Fall, Spring & Summer) which grants them the ability to visit the Health Center as many times as necessary.  More information regarding the Health Center can be found here.


There are very limited circumstances in Regent University will waive the obligation for F-1 visa students to participate in the group coverage plan with ISO. Cases where an exemption may be possible (Pending review of proper documentation):

  1. Student’s parent or spouse is employed by an American organization providing health insurance via a U.S.-based insurance provider; and / or
  2. Embassy – sponsored students where the embassy is directly funding tuition & fees, living expenses, and health insurance. Health insurance must be from a U.S. – based company and the coverage is equal to or greater than the benefits required by Regent University; in addition a copy of the current sponsorship letter must be on file with the Office of International Admissions & Advising.

Waivers for Continuing and New Students: If you meet one of the two waiver eligibilities above, please email to request a waiver.

Waivers must be requested prior to registration for each term of enrollment (Fall, Spring or Summer); an approval from a previous semester is not a guarantee of approval for a new request.

Health Insurance During Post-Completion OPT

Students on post-completion OPT are not eligible to enroll in the ISO group health insurance plan.  You are able to purchase an OPTima Plan from ISO, or you can find a plan through another company that provides coverage that meets the minimum requirements described above.

Health Insurance for Dependents

F-1 students are required to have health insurance coverage for their F-2 dependent(s) at all times.

The ISO group coverage plan includes options to purchase coverage for your spouse and / or children, under the same benefits as the student.  ISO also offers a second option for spouses, the Voyager Plan.  It is important to note that the Voyager plan does not cover pregnancy/maternity and has an 18 month waiting period on pre-existing conditions.

Regent University has also approved the Global Medical Insurance plan available with International Medical Group, Inc. (IMG).

Students should carefully review the three available options for spouse coverage before choosing which plan to purchase. Proof of coverage will need to be submitted to the International Admissions & Advising team, if purchasing the plan from IMG.

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), “There are no vaccination requirements for visitors to the United States.” For CDC guidance for travelers to the U.S., please see the information found at this link:

Currently, Regent does not require any particular vaccinations but encourages all students to have a medical evaluation and immunizations, in particular, Hepatitis B and Meningococcal.

For information about Regent’s vaccination policy, please refer to the Student Handbook.

Immigration regulations permit international students who have maintained their legal F‐1 status to work on‐campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and more hours during school breaks. Working for more hours than permitted or without proper authorization (off campus) is a serious violation of the F‐1 immigration status, which can lead to a student’s deportation.

You must have a United States Social Security Number (SSN) before any payment for on-campus employment can be issued. The OISS can assist students in applying for a SSN. On-campus employment is not guaranteed and will not financially support a student’s tuition or living expenses while in the United States.

Be prepared to bring start‐up funds for incidentals such as a cell phone, bedding, kitchen supplies, books and food. Students who plan to live off campus may need to pay a security deposit for utilities and rent. Minimally, a student should plan to bring $2,000 with them, and no more than $10,000 in cash.


F-1 Students with I-20s

International FAQs

There are a number of visas that permit part-time or full-time study. The list of these types is too numerous to provide here so please contact the International Admissions Coordinator to check if your visa type allows study without changing to F-1 student immigration status.

(For A-1, E-1/2, H-1B, H-1C, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, I, L-1, O-1/2, P-1/2/3, Q-1, R-1, TN visa holders – If you are accepted to Regent you must submit a letter from your visa sponsor which states whether or not you, as the visa holder, will be maintaining your status for the entire duration of the degree program, and which verifies that the full-time study is not your (visa holder’s) primary purpose for being in the United States.)

Those holding a PR or RA card need only provide a copy of their current valid card to the Admissions office.

The I-20 document can only be issued by a Regent  “Designated School Official” (DSO) and is used by newly admitted non-U. S. citizens who are outside the United States to apply for a non-immigrant F-1 student visa at the U.S. consulate/embassy and/or the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry. Citizens of Bermuda and Canada are exempt from the visa requirement, but must still apply for an I-20 to obtain F-1 student immigration status at the Port of Entry. For those non immigrants who are already in the United States, the I-20 is issued for one of three specific purposes: 1) to “transfer” one’s F-1 immigration status from one U.S. institution to another, 2) to apply for a “change of status” to the F-1 student immigration status, or 3) to apply for a “reinstatement” to lawful F-1 immigration status. In order to maintain lawful F-1 immigration status, it is important for each student to keep his/her I-20 valid and up-to-date at all times while enrolled in a degree program, among other requirements, listed here.

You may enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed in section 5 on your I-20, but no sooner than that. In addition, you MUST arrive in the United States on or before the program start date, or you may be denied entry into the United States. If you are unable to arrive at Regent by the program start date that is listed on your I-20 or enroll in the semester for which the I-20 was issued, it is important that you contact the International Admissions Coordinator immediately.

This time will vary greatly and will depend mostly on the applicant, but all applicants are advised to allow at least six to nine months for completion of the entire process from application submission to I-20 issuance. If an applicant is very organized, has met all established deadlines, has followed all instructions, and has thoroughly completed all questions on all the forms, it may take three to four months for an acceptance and admission decision to be made and an I-20 to be issued. On the other hand it is possible to take up to 12 months or longer and to have the admission deferred for a later semester.

From the time of completion of the degree program or the end date on the I-20 document (whichever comes first), the student will have 60 days to either depart the United States, obtain a new I-20 for a different degree program, or submit an application to the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services) for a change of status to another immigration status.

Yes you can under certain circumstances. However, your DSO at your current school must approve the request, and Regent must receive a copy of the written approval prior to your being cleared for enrollment at Regent.

According to U.S. immigration regulations, you may not enroll in a degree program in the B-1/B-2 visitor immigration status. In addition, for those who are coming to the U.S. for study that is over 18 hours per week, or for short-term degree related study (like mandatory residencies for online degree programs), that also cannot be done in the B-1/B-2 visitor status. Please consult with the International Admissions Coordinator about the steps involved with I-20 issuance, at least 4 months in advance, if you need to come to Regent for a mandatory residency that includes a specific educational objective, constitutes at least 18 hours per week of participation, and is required for degree completion.

First-Time Residency Participants
Non-immigrant students participating in on-campus residencies for online degree programs are responsible for ensuring they have proper immigration status for their studies at Regent. An I-20 is required for residency students to apply for an F-1 student visa and to obtain the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry. Not all of Regent’s on-campus residencies will qualify for I-20 issuance by the university for the on-campus portions of certain online degrees. Please contact your program advisor for further guidance on whether or not your program qualifies for I-20 issuance. If you are a non-immigrant student with a B-1/B-2 visitor immigration status, you will not be permitted to enroll in on-campus degree programs, or participate in on-campus residency related workshops, classes, and/or activities that lead toward the attainment of a degree. The required documentation includes the Residency Student I-20 Request Form and the Financial Certification Form.

Returning Residency Students
If you are required to return to campus for a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance, then you must submit the required documentation to the Enrollment Support Services at least 4 months in advance of your next residency start date. The required documentation includes the Residency Student Request for a New I-20 and the Financial Certification Form.

All Residency Students
If you are a non-immigrant student who is in a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance but you not received your I-20 at least 3 months in advance of your residency start-date, then please contact your admissions counselor by phone at 1.800.846.4198 or by email at Before doing so, make sure that you have submitted all required international documentation.


Please contact us with questions by calling 1.800.846.4198, or via email at